Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not Alone

I've been reading through the One-Year Chronological Bible for a few years now. I'm not sure which is more interesting to me: the NLT's take on the scriptures or the notes I've made in the margins. Sometimes, I date the notes. Sometimes not. Sometimes the notes are observations. Most times, they're questions. Sometimes, they're prayers.

I read these verses today:
Isaac lived for 180 years, and he died at a ripe old age, joining his ancestors in death. Then his sons, Esau and Jacob, buried him. (Genesis 35:28-29)
My note in the margin? A prayer that I still feel in a visceral way:
2012...Please, LORD, restore Sarah to our family before we have to bury our parent(s).
Morbid? Maybe. I think about it, though. Even with the phone number I have for her, my sister is still gone from me. The hole she left hasn't closed up any. Our parents aren't growing younger or healthier, and it's still just me to take care of them.

Maybe it would feel different if we had another sibling, a third party to stand with either or both of us.

I don't know. She is my only sibling. Although God has provided sweet sister-hearts for me through His family, my family of origin will always be only the four of us. No one else can go back and grow up with me.

My hugest source of comfort? Jesus was there in my family of origin. He's still here with me now. And He is with my sister, wherever she chooses to walk. He is the sibling who stands with each--and both--of us.

He will be there when our parents are buried.

(so overwhelmed with gratitude right now...)

No comments: