Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

It's February 29th, the "extra" day we get every 4 years.


It's felt like an ordinary day--a rainy, missing-Michael, friends-coming-over-for-dinner, ordinary day. Except for one thing:


There is no reading for February 29 in the One-Year Chronological Bible!


Whenever I hear the word "leap," three scripture passages come to mind, two in the Old Testament and one in the New Testament. Let's make these our Bible reading for today.



From Acts 3:
Peter Heals a Crippled Beggar
1Peter and John went to the Temple one afternoon to take part in the three o'clock prayer service. 2As they approached the Temple, a man lame from birth was being carried in. Each day he was put beside the Temple gate, the one called the Beautiful Gate, so he could beg from the people going into the Temple. 3When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for some money.
4Peter and John looked at him intently, and Peter said, "Look at us!" 5The lame man looked at them eagerly, expecting a gift. 6But Peter said, "I don't have any money for you. But I'll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!"
7Then Peter took the lame man by the right hand and helped him up. And as he did, the man's feet and anklebones were healed and strengthened. 8He jumped up, stood on his feet, and began to walk! Then, walking, leaping, and praising God, he went into the Temple with them.
9All the people saw him walking and heard him praising God. 10When they realized he was the lame beggar they had seen so often at the Beautiful Gate, they were absolutely astounded! 11They all rushed out to Solomon's Colonnade, where he was holding tightly to Peter and John. Everyone stood there in awe of the wonderful thing that had happened.
Peter Preaches in the Temple
12Peter saw his opportunity and addressed the crowd. "People of Israel," he said, "what is so  astounding about this? And why look at us as though we had made this man walk by our own power and godliness? 13For it is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, the God of all our ancestors who has brought glory to his servant Jesus by doing this. This is the same Jesus whom you handed over and rejected before Pilate, despite Pilate's decision to release him. 14You rejected this holy, righteous one and instead demanded the release of a murderer. 15You killed the author of life, but God raised him to life. And we are witnesses of this fact!
16"The name of Jesus has healed this man—and you know how lame he was before. Faith in Jesus' name has caused this healing before your very eyes." 



From Psalm 18:

For the choir director: A psalm of David, the servant of the LORD. He sang this song to the LORD on the day the LORD rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul.
1 I love You, LORD; You are my strength.
2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold.
3 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
for He saves me from my enemies.
4 The ropes of death surrounded me;
the floods of destruction swept over me.
5 The grave wrapped its ropes around me;
death itself stared me in the face.
6 But in my distress I cried out to the LORD;
yes, I prayed to my God for help.
He heard me from His sanctuary;
my cry reached His ears.
7 Then the earth quaked and trembled;
the foundations of the mountains shook;
they quaked because of His anger.
8 Smoke poured from His nostrils;
fierce flames leaped from His mouth;
glowing coals flamed forth from Him.
9 He opened the heavens and came down;
dark storm clouds were beneath His feet.
10 Mounted on a mighty angel, He flew,
soaring on the wings of the wind.
11 He shrouded Himself in darkness,
veiling His approach with dense rain clouds.
12 The brilliance of His presence broke through the clouds,
raining down hail and burning coals.
13 The LORD thundered from heaven;
the Most High gave a mighty shout. F20
14 He shot His arrows and scattered His enemies;
His lightning flashed, and they were greatly confused.
15 Then at Your command, O LORD,
at the blast of Your breath,
the bottom of the sea could be seen,
and the foundations of the earth were laid bare.
16 He reached down from heaven and rescued me;
He drew me out of deep waters.
17 He delivered me from my powerful enemies,
from those who hated me and were too strong for me.
18 They attacked me at a moment when I was weakest,
but the LORD upheld me.
19 He led me to a place of safety;
He rescued me because He delights in me.
20 The LORD rewarded me for doing right;
He compensated me because of my innocence.
21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD;
I have not turned from my God to follow evil.
22 For all His laws are constantly before me;
I have never abandoned His principles.
23 I am blameless before God;
I have kept myself from sin.
24 The LORD rewarded me for doing right,
because of the innocence of my hands in His sight.
25 To the faithful You show Yourself faithful;
to those with integrity You show integrity.
26 To the pure You show Yourself pure,
but to the wicked You show Yourself hostile.
27 You rescue those who are humble,
but You humiliate the proud.
28 LORD, You have brought light to my life;
my God, You light up my darkness.
29 In Your strength I can crush an army;
with my God I can scale any wall.
30 As for God, His way is perfect.
All the LORD's promises prove true.
He is a shield for all who look to Him for protection.
31 For who is God except the LORD?
Who but our God is a solid rock?
32 God arms me with strength;
He has made my way safe.
33 He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
leading me safely along the mountain heights.
34 He prepares me for battle;
He strengthens me to draw a bow of bronze.
35 You have given me the shield of Your salvation.
Your right hand supports me;
Your gentleness has made me great.
36 You have made a wide path for my feet
to keep them from slipping.



How about you? Any "leaping" verses come to your mind?



1 comment:

Jay Campbell "POP" said...

Luke 1 NASB
39 Now at this time Mary arose and went in a hurry to the hill country, to a city of Judah,
40 and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.
41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
42 And she cried out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!
43 And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?
44 For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy.
45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord.”