Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Turtle Lives


Living in a family with a sensory processing disorder can make life frustrating. But it also births some wonderful unique family memories. I found this entry in my journal the other day. How faithful God is to show me what’s right with my girl!

December, 2005

In the past month or so, I’m fairly certain that Cami has asked Jesus to come live in her heart. She talks about Him all the time–even encourages her friends with His love and His light. She is memorizing Scripture at church, and asking hard questions (“Mommy, how can one person wash away the sins of the whole world?”). It is so thrilling–and humbling–to be her mother.

A couple of weeks ago, she was telling her daddy and me about evergreens. She said, “Evergreens are trees that never lose their leaves. They remind us of God’s love for us and our happy turtle lives.”

Michael and I looked at each other, and then it dawned on me. “Cami, do you mean eternal life?”

“No, Mommy.” She was very sure. “If you believe in Jesus and ask Him to live in your heart, then you get a happy turtle life.”

Michael said, “Cami, the Bible says that God so loved the world,” (we’ve been trying to learn John 3:16) “that He gave us Jesus so that if we believe in Him, we can HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.”

By this time, I had tears streaming down my face from trying not to laugh out loud and hurt Cami’s feelings while still trying to participate in this very important conversation. I’m so glad Michael could keep his composure and be there for our daughter.

“Oh,” Cami said. She repeated, “Have eternal life.” She sounded almost disappointed that the Christian life didn’t necessarily involve turtles after all.

No comments: