Saturday, January 2, 2010

Less Cooperation, More Community

I read this interview in Christianity Today yesterday. Here's the quote that stopped me in my tracks:

". . . God Himself is community. . .God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are a community, and They model community for us. The prayers of Jesus to His Father are amazing. What the Father tells the Son is deep and loving: 'You are My beloved Son.' The way Jesus talks about the Spirit coming is warm and intense: 'I'm leaving but the Spirit is coming.' The Trinity is a community that models for us how to get along, how to be interdependent, how to keep our own specificity without the sense of competition."  
---Valdir Steuernagel
how to keep our own specificity without the sense of competition

Oh, if I could only get that!

Lord, please teach me to walk in my gifts the path You have set before me, without straying onto someone else's specificity or buying the lie of competition.