Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Were You?

I was getting my house ready to host the babies play group. Seven moms were to show up at 10:30 a.m. with their babies (all about 3 months old). Michael called me from work and said, "Turn on the TV."


"Why?" I asked.

"It's bad. Just turn it on."

"What channel?"

"It doesn't matter. Gotta go." And he hung up.

I turned on the TV to NBC, I think. By the time I had oriented to what was happening, the plane hit the second tower, and that was when I started to cry.

Needless to say, the play group didn't meet. I called every mom to make sure they were okay. I cried for the rest of the day. Over the next several weeks, Michael and I made an emergency plan, bought survival supplies to shelter in place, and prayed a lot more than before.

2 comments:

Scuba Girl said...

I still remember how scared I felt, and how powerless! Thank you for sharing.
http://darkchocolateisbest.blogspot.com/2009/09/september-11-2001.html

Kristine McGuire said...

I know what you mean. The entire day is etched in my memory. Thanks for sharing.