Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Two Crowns, a Filling, Figs, and Faithfulness

Today's passages: Jeremiah 23:33-40, 24:1-10, 29:1-32, 30:1-24, & 31:1-14.

I began this post with the intention of telling you
*about my morning dental appointment, and how I was brave and didn't cancel, and how I have the sore jaw to prove it
*about the passages I read in Jeremiah, how the LORD gave him a vision of baskets "filled with fresh, ripe figs" and "figs that were spoiled and could not be eaten" (24:2)
*about the wonderful way my husband cared for me, how he encouraged me to take a nap, how deeply I slept and how I actually rested
*about how I felt after said nap, like I'd been asleep for years, how hard it was to reorient to the day and the hour
*about how I've asked God to tell me His names of the babies in heaven

Instead, this is what came out on the page:

It's amazing to me how I crave God and His Word these days.

When I connect the dots--
a reading/writing personal goal for spiritual growth→
tough-to-understand passages→
ripping open of wounds I didn't know I had→
more reading His Word and responding in my blog→
feeling emotions I didn't know were so deep→
keeping my reading commitment and finding His comfort waiting for me in the pages--
I find a beautiful, intimate dance:
the God of the universe leading me, waiting for me, back and forth we go,
me, wandering, floundering, thrashing about,
Him, so patient when I step on His toes, supporting me when I stumble.

There is no contest to win, except to finish the race He's set before me.
There is no appropriate costume, except to stay turned towards Him.
There is no set order of steps, except to follow Him.

Words, Word, angst, Purpose, flailing, Faithfulness.

"The truth is that you will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for Me in earnest, you will find Me when you seek Me. I will be found by you," says the LORD. "I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and bring you home again to your own land." (Jeremiah 29:10-14)

No comments: