Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tête-à-tête

Jeremiah: LORD, You always give me justice when I bring a case before You. Now let me bring You this complaint: Why are the wicked so prosperous? Why are evil people so happy? You have planted them, and they have taken root and prospered. Your name is on their lips, but in their hearts they give You no credit at all. But as for me, LORD, You know my heart. You see me and test my thoughts. (Jeremiah 12:1-3)

The LORD: If racing against mere men makes you tired, how will you race against horses? If you stumble and fall on open ground, what will you do in the thickets near the Jordan? (Jeremiah 12:5) (How is this God's answer to Jeremiah's complaint? Seems like He's talking in riddles.)

I have abandoned My people, My special possession. I have surrendered My dearest ones to their enemies. My chosen people have roared at Me like a lion of the forest, so I have treated them as though I hated them. (Jeremiah 12:7-8)

As for all the evil nations reaching out for the inheritance I gave My people Israel, I will uproot them from their lands just as Judah will be uprooted from hers. But afterward I will return and have compassion on all of them. I will bring them home to their own lands again, each nation to its own inheritance. And if these nations quickly learn the ways of My people, and if they learn to swear by My name, saying, "As surely as the LORD lives" (just as they taught My people to swear by the name of Baal), then they will be given a place among My people. (Jeremiah 12:14-16)

As a belt clings to a person's waist, so I created Judah and Israel to cling to Me. They were to be my people, my pride, my glory – an honor to my name. But they would not listen to Me. (Jeremiah 13:11) (Cross-reference the belt of truth in the spiritual armor, Ephesians 6:10-14.)

Jeremiah: Give glory to the LORD your God before it is too late. Acknowledge Him before He brings darkness upon you, causing you to stumble and fall on the dark mountains. For then, when you look for light, you will find only terrible darkness. (Jeremiah 13:16)

LORD, we confess our wickedness and that of our ancestors, too. We all have sinned against You. For the sake of Your own name, LORD, do not abandon us. Do not disgrace Yourself and the throne of Your glory. Do not break Your covenant with us. Please don't forget us! (Jeremiah 14:20-21)

The LORD: Even if Moses and Samuel stood before me pleading for these people, I wouldn't help them. Away with them! Get them out of my sight! (Jeremiah 15:1)

Because of the wicked things Manasseh son of Hezekiah, king of Judah, did in Jerusalem, I will make My people an object of horror to all the kingdoms of the earth. (Jeremiah 15:4) (How can one man have such a lasting effect on God?)

You have forsaken Me and turned your back on Me. Therefore, I will raise My clenched fists to destroy you. I am tired of always giving you another chance. (Jeremiah 15:6) (Really, God? But I'm saved from this because of Jesus, right? Right?)

The mother of seven grows faint and gasps for breath; her sun has gone down while it is yet day. She sits childless now, disgraced and humiliated. . . (Jeremiah 15:9) (LORD, is this Sarah?)

Jeremiah: Your words are what sustain me. They bring me great joy and are my heart's delight, for I bear Your Name, O LORD God Almighty. I never joined the people in their merry feasts. I sat alone because your hand was on me. I burst with indignation at their sins. Why then does my suffering continue? Why is my wound so incurable? Your help seems as uncertain as a seasonal brook. It is like a spring that has gone dry. (Jeremiah 15:16-18)

The LORD: If you return to Me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve Me. If you speak words that are worthy, you will be My spokesman. You are to influence them; do not let them influence you! They will fight against you like an attacking army, but I will make you as secure as a fortified wall. They will not conquer you, for I will protect and deliver you. I, the LORD, have spoken! Yes, I will certainly keep you safe from these wicked men. I will rescue you from their cruel hands. (Jeremiah 15:19-21) (A promise specific to Jeremiah . . . )

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Getting Down With Jesus said...

Mmmm. Sounds like you've got a Mystery File of your own going. I've got a question like yours in my Mystery File:

"Really, God? But I'm saved from this because of Jesus, right? Right?"

A faith with questions puts down deep roots, I believe. Thanks for your honesty here, and for your questions.

And friend, thanks for your kind words on my blog about my uncle.