Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Celebrate With Me!

Right now, Cami is upstairs in her loft bed, leaning against her purple propping pillow, reading.

Yes. READING.

She's reading Lassie Come Home. (Her choice.) When I checked on her just now, she had those I'm-going-to-cry-at-any-second eyes. I asked her if she was okay.

Cami: I'm fine. You know what? Joe's dad sold their dog.

Pause.

Cami: But it'll be okay. Lassie will make it home eventually.

Pause.

Cami: At least, she did in the movie.

Me: Cami, you know your daddy and I would never sell our dog.

Cami: I know.

Me: It was sad that Joe's dad sold their dog, huh?

Cami: Yeah.

She covered her head with the open book. Then she looked at me with tears finally brimming over.

Cami: Especially because Lassie always waited for him.

She went back to reading.

READING!

2 comments:

Lizzy Deaton said...

yahooooooooooo!!!!

betsy caƱas garmon said...

Am I allowed to say this?
"I told you so..."
Yes, I think I'm allowed to say it.

AND not only is she reading, she is being moved by story. Oh my.