Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Worshiping Through Collage

In our True Worship class two weeks ago, we made collages as a way of worshiping God. I hadn't made a collage since grade school, I think, and never as a way to worship Jesus. One of the college-aged girls in our class makes a regular practice of it.



Here's mine:

We took as our focus the definition for true worship that we've been using: bringing everything I know of myself to everything I know of God.

Here's what I brought of myself:

Two Campbell soup cans: the red one represents my parents who were on their way for a visit; the pink one represents my daughter who is my greatest joy and toughest challenge.

Two pennies because God provides for me one cent at a time, just enough and right when I need it.

Hands holding a book because I love to read. I need to do it more often, not because I need to learn something, but just to read.

Bird houses and a hummingbird because I love to watch birds. Hummingbirds are a favorite of mine (because I've seen them so rarely--when I do, it's like a kiss from Jesus). This hummingbird is in flight, like the freedom and locomotion God's trying to accomplish in me.

A candle because I'm His lightbearer (and the candle has a mirror in it. . .).

I've been delighted to find snippets of encouragement from Jesus in the pictures and words I cut and pasted two weeks ago. Let me explain:

He's building His house in me. It isn't finished--but the frame is up, and it's coming along.

I'm free to tell the story--to write whatever He tells me to write. Whether anyone else writes it with me, or whether anyone else ever reads it. I'm free to be obedient.

He's teaching me new mission styles and leading me to the high places (shoes are optional).

When my folks were visiting, I fought the old habits and patterns of being. No one was forcing me to do or be anything--I just kept slipping into the do-whatever-it-takes-to-make-everyone-happy-but-different-things-make-different-people-happy-and-I-can't-do-it-all-at-the-same-time place. Jesus reminds me right in the middle of the page (as my husband pointed out): "Don't Go Faux."

My Father is giving me springs that are overflowing with LIFE.

That's what I know so far.

No comments: