Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pink Flamingos

I was born and raised in in Fort Walton Beach, which is in Northwest Florida--the Panhandle. (That's near the now celebrity-preferred vacation spot of Destin.) Living over half my life in the state of Florida, I've seen several of these through the years:

I've always thought they were ugly, no matter the yard arrangement, but especially as Christmas lawn decorations used as alternatives for reindeer. (Can you say, "Uh. . .YUCK!")

I saw a flock of flamingos in the Oakland Zoo a few years back. They were nice to look at, better than the plastic ones, but not very interesting.

My dad told me that the great flamingo (the pink variety) has been spotted for the first time on the beaches where I grew up. They've been spotted in Mississippi and Northwest Florida since Hurricane Fay (and then Gustav, and now Ike) blew into the Gulf of Mexico. A Destin local caught this video yesterday, which was picked up by the Weather Channel. You can see this amazing creature standing his ground in spite of the huge surf (our beaches usually have calm waves, not even a foot high):


What a beautiful bird! I snagged these pictures off Sandcastle Mama's blog. (She lives in Destin, so these are photos her husband took while they were walking on the beach.)
Apparently, the "accidental tourist" is quite a local celebrity.

He looks lonely to me.

1 comment:

dani said...

About those plastic flamingos. . .
When we were living in Hawaii, all of my neighbors in our cul de sac, all 9 families, had flamingos in their yards. I don't know who started the trend, but soon, they were after me. They joked that one day, I will wake up and find flamingos in my yard. I believe it happened on one April Fool's day. We woke up and saw two plastic flamingos, lovingly placed beside our mailbox. :) I figured, if someone went through the trouble to spend the money and purchase them, sneak up in the middle of the night to beautify my yard (or shall I say, make us feel included), I shall keep them with grace.
They didn't quite make it across the pacific when we moved. They are, after all, warm-weather birds.