Monday, July 14, 2008

A Bipolar Church Day?

Don't you think that being fully alive in Jesus can feel a bit like being bipolar?

If I am truly fully alive, then I'll feel everything---and feel it deeply.

So the excitement at seeing God's hand move right in front of my face feels a bit like ecstasy.

And the disappointment at seeing the deformed fruit from human kingdom-building feels a lot like grief.

All in the span of an afternoon.

This quote from one of the blogs I read was God's word for me this day:

I never want to live in a state of just wanting things to be okay; I want miracles and to see God answer beyond our wildest dreams.

While praying for her husband, this stranger grasped Jesus' meaning when He said, "I came to earth so that you'll have LIFE*, and have it to the fullest measure**."

I don't think He meant being bipolar.

Maybe just feeling that way every once in a Church Day.

*Greek = "life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last for ever."

**Greek = "over and above, more than is necessary, superadded; exceeding abundantly, supremely; something further, more, much more than all, more plainly; superior, extraordinary, surpassing, uncommon; pre-eminence, superiority, advantage, more eminent, more remarkable, more excellent."

No comments: