Monday, June 9, 2008

Sing A New Song to the Lord

My friend Nace challenged me today with the idea of worship leaders having new songs for the Lord.

It says it all over the Old Testament. I immediately felt inadequate because I'm not a songwriter--at least, not yet.

But the scripture says, "Sing a new song to the Lord." ("Sing," not "write.") That Hebrew word for "new" means "fresh." The commentary I read on Psalm 33:3 says,

Fresh mercies call for new songs of praise and gratitude.

I printed out this score weeks ago because it's a Kathryn Scott song I'm not familiar with.

Today, I bought it on ITunes. Then I spent over three hours trying to figure out how to post the song directly here in this blog.

Now my bubble bath is waiting. Here are the lyrics until I find the magic posting combination.

Search me, know me
Try me and see every worthless affection hidden in me
All I'm asking for is that You'd cleanse me, Lord
Create in me a heart that's clean
Conquer the power of secret shame
Come wash away the guilty stain of all my sin
Clothe me in robes of righteousness
Cover my nakedness with grace
All of my life before You now I humbly bring

Kathryn Scott & Mildred Rainey ©2003 Vertical Worship Songs (Admin. by Integrity Music, Inc.)

*Edit: The magic combination! Not Kathryn Scott, but Travis Cottrell.


2 comments:

Brittany said...

I love new songs! I think the main reason I do is because God loves them more. I think it also helps us connect with him in a new way and grow too...I dunno. I don't think I'm a lyricist, but sometimes I just humm songs that God puts in my heart from a verse or prayer...... :)

Brittany said...

ok, confession time.
I wrote a song in 2004 before I went to Peru.
I was just praying, and I started singing it. I had never done that before. I never forgot it. And I want to thank you for encouraging me to work on it....really.