Thursday, April 17, 2008

Healing Your Family Tree

My friend Beverly Hubble Tauke has taught me a lot in the past year or so. I met her through my church when she came to speak to our women's group in the fall of 2006. She was giving away copies of her book (recently re-released as Healing Your Family Tree), and she let me take two copies. I sent one to Sarah. I don't know if she ever received it---but I was obedient and finally sent it to the last address I have for her. I prayed as I mailed it that if Sarah didn't receive it, God would put it into the hands of whoever needed the truth contained in its pages.

This book is an amazing examination of Scripture in light of the wounds we receive in our families. Beverly explains, based on Scripture, how to actively pursue becoming the redemptive generation in your family.

This past January, Beverly spent four Tuesdays in a row with us at Breakaway, talking to us about Moses and Joseph, self-love and soul fatigue, Jacob and Esau, Abigail and Esther, and the difference between being ignorant, foolish, and wicked (we should choose to be wise). I took many notes, which mainly consisted of writing questions in the margins of my handouts.

The last day, after everyone went home, Beverly took the time to sit down with me and begin a dialogue about me, my sister, and the pain and grief that keep surprising me after all these years. Her insights were spot on, and the Holy Spirit spoke very clearly to my heart through her words of truth and encouragement.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I found this quote from her book (which I read last summer before it got its new-and-improved title) written on a 3x5 card in a stack of papers from the tote in the bottom of my closet:
These sturdy souls metabolize their faith--take it in, savor it, and convert it into emotional energy, mental power, and relationship glue. Metabolized faith transforms as surely as a rich protein diet transforms a malnourished child, with nutrients and child coalescing into something new. (p. 138, Healing Your Family Tree)

The "sturdy souls" she mentions here are the folks who "show intrinsic faith and are motivated to love God and find meaning in life's experiences through Him, rather than just conform to a social environment" (ibid).

Wow. I want to be a sturdy soul. I want to have metabolized faith.

You can purchase Bev's book at her web site, CBD, or Amazon.

No comments: